Monday, April 20, 2009

Campari Buys Wild Turkey

Rumors have been bouncing around since the Nov/Dec timeframe that Pernod Ricard was looking to sell Wild Turkey, when the company announced their "focus" brands and the bourbon was not among them. I put my money on Skyy Spirits as they did not have a bourbon and from talking with the Director of Sales for California, I knew they were in the market for one.

Well as of about a week ago or so those rumors have come to fruition, and my guess was acorrect. Campari aka Skyy Spirits in the U.S., picked up Wild Turkey for about $575 million. Campari controls a number of spirits brands ranging from vodka (Skyy), scotch (Glenrothes), tequlia (Cabo Wabo), liqueurs (Campari, X-Rated) and Wild Turkey will definitely round out their portfolio.

I'm pretty excited about this change. It seems that Pernod never really did much with Wild Turkey, which in my opinion is fantastic bourbon. I think Skyy will change that and put a lot of focus on building the brand.

No comments: